An Experienced Lawyer and Author:
Paul's work experiences include wide range of experience in litigation and arbitration as an adviser and advocate for over 25 years. Principal area of practice is commercial litigation and arbitration with a specialist interests in maritime law and international trade and sports law. His legal work include:
- Leading counsel in the District Court, High Court and Court of Appeal, Privy Council and Supreme Court and in the Australian Federal and High Courts.
- Leading counsel in international arbitration and before the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea on behalf of the Russian Federation.
- Occasional appointments as arbitrator.
- Mediation and other forms of alternative dispute resolution, judicial settlement conferences etc.
Amongst Paul's publication work includes:
- Articles and case notes on commercial, maritime law and dispute resolution in various legal journals including Lloyd’s Maritime and Commercial Law Quarterly.
- Author of the chapter on marine pollution, now in the fourth edition of Environmental and Resource Management Law (2011).
- Author of the text Maritime Law: Admiralty for the Laws of New Zealand.
- Presented many papers on commercial law (in particular contract law) and maritime law.
He has special interest in legal issues affecting sport:
- Author of The Fight for the Spirit of Sport: A Guide to the World Anti-Doping Code published by Cambridge University Press in September 2008. Articles and papers in that area.
- Advised and represented athletes and sporting organisations in a wide range of matters.
- Counsel to Drug Free Sport New Zealand advising that body on a broad range of issues arising in relation to its statutory functions.
- Appeared as counsel before the New Zealand Sports Disputes Tribunal and the Court of Arbitration for Sport (“CAS”) in many selection disputes and doping matters.